Some face masks can be damaging for our skin, full of unnecessary chemicals and parabens. Here at Myreen Young, we canâ€™t get enough of an organic face mask, whether this is one of our organic cellular masks or a homemade mask full of natural ingredients. Using natural skin care products on our skin protects, heals and soothes our pores; read on for the top five homemade face masks you can quickly rustle up in your kitchen and the benefits of each main natural ingredient.
Honey is not only delicious; itâ€™s great for our skin too. Full of antioxidants and antibacterial properties, itâ€™s the perfect ingredient to help soothe acne, fight the effects of ageing and helps unclog pores. There are many honey-based facemasks you can whizz up at home, but the one below is full of vitamins, minerals and healthy fats, therefore is incredibly gentle on your skin.
1 tsp of raw honey
1 tsp of full-fat Greek yoghurt
1 tsp of avocado
- Mix the raw honey, Greek yoghurt and avocado in a bowl until the mixture is smooth.
- Apply the mixture to your cleansed face and leave on for twenty to thirty minutes.
- Wash the mask off with warm water and dry your face gently.
Oatmeal is a hypoallergenic ingredient that contains anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that help benefit acne-prone skin; oats can soak up excess oil and help to stop the spread of bacteria. Itâ€™s also full of fat; the ingredient is great for exfoliating your skin as it has a rough texture, so it moisturises, cleanses and exfoliates your skin all at once.
1 tbsp of oatmeal
2 tbsp of milk
Â¼ tsp of cinnamon
- Mix the oatmeal, milk and cinnamon in a bowl and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Cleanse your face and apply the mixture.
- Leave on for twenty minutes.
- Wash off the mask with warm water and pat your face dry.
Full of vitamins A, B, C and E as well as potassium, bananas help fade dark spots, reduce dryness, prevent ageing effects as well as being incredibly moisturising. During the winter months, bananas are unbelievably nourishing as they help to combat the signs of dry skin and have the ability to give your face a natural glow.
1 tbsp of honey
1 tbsp of lemon juice
- Mash the banana in a small bowl until it forms a paste.
- Add in the honey and lemon juice and mix until it becomes smooth.
- Apply the mixture to your face, ensuring you spread a thick layer evenly avoiding the eye area.
- Leave the mask on for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Wash the mask off with warm water and pat your face dry.
Coffee is a natural exfoliant; it has the ability to buff dead skin cells away leaving your skin radiant and energised. The rich ingredient is a great source of antioxidants, with caffeine helping to stimulate the skin which helps to improve blood circulation, which in turn helps to reduce any inflammation.
1 tbsp of coffee
2 tbsp of milk
- Mix the coffee and the milk in a small bowl until it forms a paste.
- Apply the mixture evenly to your face, avoiding the eye and mouth areas.
- Leave the mask on to dry for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- While washing off with cold water, massage your face which will gently exfoliate your skin.
The citrus fruit is perfect to banish acne, oily skin and blemishes; itâ€™s a natural antioxidant which is full of vitamin C, potassium, lutein and citric acid. High in citric acid, lemon juice helps to treat and soothe acne, while brightening dull skin. Be careful not to get lemon juice in your eyes as it may sting!
Â¼ of a cucumber
2 tables of lemon juice
- Blend the cucumber and freshly squeezed lemon juice, whether this is in a food processor or by hand to create a smooth paste.
- Apply the mixture to your face, avoiding the areas around the eyes.
- Gently massage the mask into your skin and leave the mask on for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Wash off with cold water.
These five main natural ingredients will leave your skin feeling rejuvenated and replenished. If you want the ease of a mask or face peel in a bottle, here at Myreen Young we have a superb range of products which are all organic, use natural preservatives and cater for all skin types, whether you have dehydrated and sensitive skin or dry and dull-looking skin, we have the right products for you!